Yesterday Apple released their Podcasts app for iOS. This was previously announce during the WWDC keynote address earlier this month and many people thought the app wouldn’t make an appearance until iOS 6 was released. Apparently, Apple has other plans.
With the release of the Podcasts app, Apple is clearly trying to move in on third-party vendors that have been providing iOS users with the features they want in a podcast receiver app.
It remains to be seen whether or not Apple will be able to challenge entrenched applications like Pocket Casts, Downcast, and iCatcher but they’re sure to gain users for the sheer fact that it’s an Apple app. Much of the functionality in Podcasts has been in these third-party applications for a long time now but the addition of this app means that Apple is taking podcasting a little more seriously.
So far the response to that app has been fairly positive though Erik Fisher (@erikjfisher noted on Twitter, “It’s Apple pretty, but not especially Apple UI intuitive.”Searching is easy and once podcasts are added to your library the tiles are easy to move and arrange as you see fit. Restrictions on iOS extend to the app so if you have the restriction set to disallow explicit music and podcasts they cannot be downloaded via the Podcasts app. The explicit tag doesn’t appear next to the podcast in the catalog but the episode appear grayed out.
All-in-all Podcasts is a solid app that will certainly bring more exposure to podcasts of all types.
• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
— The Wired Homeschool (@wiredhs) June 27, 2012
• Requires a device with iOS 5.1 or later
• Optionally syncing episodes requires iTunes 10.6.3 or later
• Streaming or downloading episodes requires internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection
Podcasts – Apple
Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad.Requires iOS 5.1 or later.